My Ranch Beans
- Cowboy Bean recipe:2 Lbs. pinto beans, rinsed sorted and soaked overnight (or quick soak. Boil for 2 minutes and let stand 1 hour and drain and rinse.)
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 14.5 oz.. diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup chili powder
- 1/2 to 1 tsp cayenne pepper (depending on your taste)
- 1 to 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 qts.. chicken broth, 1 qt. beef broth the kind you get at the market
- Melt butter in large pot or dutch oven.
- Add bacon and next 4 ingredients and saute' for about 4 or 5 minutes until vegies are tender but not burned.
- Add cilantro, chili powder, cayenne and tomato paste and cook about 3 minutes.
- Add beans, broth, salt and pepper to taste, bring to boil then lower heat and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours or 'til beans are tender.
- During this time liquid smoke (remember, a little of this stuff goes a long way) and tabasco and adjust seasonings to taste.
- If you want this thicker you can mash beans against the side of the pot to thicken.